Aloe vera is quite a renowned herb with a long tradition of medicinal uses and is extensively used in contemporary herbal and other medicinal treatments. No other herb can be compared with the medicinal values of aloe vera.
Aloe vera contains anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The portions of the plant that are utilized for medicinal purposes are the gel which is found inside the leaves and the sap-a yellow, bitter and sticky substance (also called as aloe latex) which is found inside the surface of the leaves.
Health Benefits of Aloe Vera:
Here is a Brief Description about the Medicinal Values of Aloe Vera:
- Aloe vera acts as an ache reliever and comforting agent and effectively treats skin problems such as burns, sun burns, abrasions, bruises, blisters, itching, wounds, skin pigmentation, cracked skin, parched skin, singed skin and swellings when its fresh gel is applied topically.
- Aloe vera contains anti-tumor and immunomodulatory properties which can hold back the development of cancer tumors.
- It limits the growth of colon cancer.
- It reduces heartburn and increases cardiovascular performance.
- It reduces high blood pressure.
- It reduces blood sugar levels, thus helps in the treatment of diabetes.
- It lowers high cholesterol levels and triglycerides.
- It reduces obesity by breaking down the fat globules.
- When taken internally it improves jaundice.
- Aloe vera when applied topically or taken internally, helps in reducing arthritis pain and inflammation
- It effectively treats digestive disorders such as Crohn’s disease, ulcers, IBS and constipation.
- It acts as a strong laxative and a best medicine for constipation.
- Aloe vera is an excellent sports drink because it is a rich source of wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- Aloe Vera has strong immunomodulatory and antitumour properties. Hence it can suppress the development of cancer tumors.
- It enhances oxygenation of the blood.
- It works on the basic causes of high blood pressure and not just on the symptoms hence reducing high blood pressure
- Numerous research studies have proved the anti-diabetic properties of Aloe Vera.
- In curing acidity problems as it alkalizes the body.
- It increases your physical stamina.
- Prevents kidney diseases and stones
- It speeds up your injury or physical exertion, burns and radiation burn recovery.
- It acts as a natural sports drink as it maintains the electrolyte balance.
- It restricts the growth of colon cancer and lubricates the digestive tract, and enhances the healing process of intestine.
- The gel can be used as a natural scrub for the body
- The poisonous or harmful substances injected by insect bites can be nullified by rubbing the gel on the site of bite.
- A foot mask for improving the conditions of the toes and ankles can be prepared by mixing oatmeal, gel of aloe vera, corn meal and body lotion in appreciate quantities.
- Research studies have found evidences that it can treat psoriasis condition.
- It can reduce the irritation caused in the vagina without posing any threat of side effects in the sensitive region.
Cosmetic Values of Aloe Vera
- Aloe vera stimulates the production of collagen and elastin that prevents aging of the skin.
- Aloe vera is used in soaps, shampoos, creams and lotions for beauty purposes.
- Aloe vera gel lightens the dark spots on the face and reduces the intensity of pigmentation.
- When applied topically, the gel acts as best moisturizer, removes dead skin cells and rejuvenates the skin.
- Also it conditions the damaged hair. All you need to do is mix aloe vera gel and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your hair after shampooing it. Leave this for 4 – 5 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with water.
- It hastens the skin repair and hydrates your skin resulting in healthy and glowing skin.
- People with oily skin can prevent formation of pimples and acne by using this gel
- Scarring and scratch marks are some of the signs of aging which can be prevented by the antioxidants present in this plant.
- The gel of the plant should be rubbed on the scalp for 30 minutes and rinsed well thereafter, in order to naturally treat dry hair and dandruff.