Tea as a beverage is very popular. Many take it as a relaxant. Different types of tea are available- green, oolong and black. Green tea has medicinal value. Several studies highlight its health benefits.
Green Tea consists of unfermented leaves and contains high concentration of powerful antioxidants known as polyphenols. Antioxidants are substances that scavenge free radicals. These free radicals contribute to the aging process as well as cause a number of health problems, such as cancer and heart disease. Antioxidants in green tea can neutralize free radicals. It can reduce the harm caused by them or even prevent it.
Green Tea has been consumed in India, Japan, China and Thailand from ancient times. It has no doubt medicinal value. It has been used in traditional Chinese and Indian medicine. What are these medicinal benefits?
Green Tea Health Benefits
Listed below are some green tea health benefits:
- Atherosclerosis, particularly coronary heart disease, can be prevented by the use of green tea
- It is useful as a astringent to control bleeding and help in the healing of wounds
- Green tea thins blood and prevents blood clots
- It is used as diuretic to promote the excretion of urine
- It reduces the damage caused by a heart attack and helps in speedy recovery
- Total cholesterol is lowered and HDL(œgood cholesterol) is increased when one uses green tea
- Cancer rates are lower among people who use green tea regularly. Polyphenols in green tea do play an important role in the prevention of cancer. These polyphenols in green tea can destroy cancerous cells and check their progression. Women who consumed green tea were less likely to develop bladder cancer. Also the polyphenols found in green tea prevent the growth of cells that cause breast cancer. Green tea is also useful in the prevention of ovarian, colorectal, esophageal and lung cancer. It can prevent pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, skin and stomach cancer
- Inflammation which occurs in ulcerative colitis and in Crohn’s disease, which are two types of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, can be reduced if one uses green tea
- Blood sugar in our body system can be controlled
- Liver disorders can also be controlled by intake of green tea
- Green tea boosts metabolism and helps in burning fat
- Tooth decay can be prevented
Green tea is undoubtedly useful in many ways. Medicinal benefits are many. It is worth having a cup of green tea. Sip and enjoy good health.