Clove oil medicinal values:
For centuries civilizations have used clove oil for medicinal, homeopathic and culinary benefits. The countless health benefits of this oil can be attributed to its antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant and analgesic properties.
Clove oil is rich in minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, sodium and phosphorus and hydrochloric acid. Even it a good source of vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin C. Here is a brief description of the health benefits of clove oil.
Health Benefits of Clove Oil
Listed below are some of the effective health benefits of clove oil:
- Generally clove oil is used in dental care because of its germicidal properties. It effectively relieves pain when used for some common dental problems such as tooth ache, mouth ulcers and sore gums.
- It effectively treats bad breath and the oil is a common constituent in tooth pastes and mouth washes.
- The antiseptic properties of clove oil works well for some common harmless problems such as cuts, burns, wounds, bruises, scabies, fungal infections, athlete’s foot etc. Use the oil in diluted form for these problems and avoid using it on sensitive skin.
- Clove oil has anti inflammatory and cooling properties. It clears nasal passage and treats well various respiratory problems such as cold, cough, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis and tuberculosis.
- This oil purifies our blood and increases metabolism by increasing blood circulation and reducing body temperature.
- Both clove oil and clove boost our immune system because of their antiviral properties and the ability to purify blood. It increases our resistance to diseases.
- It is reported that clove oil controls blood glucose levels and benefits diabetics.
- Clove oil works well for problems related to indigestion such as motion, indigestion and flatulence.
- The oil has analgesic properties and effectively relieves body pains.
- Clove oil mixed with salt and applied on the forehead gives relief from head ache.
- The oil applied on the eye sty effectively treats the condition.
- Clove oil is used to ease ear aches. Mix clove oil and sesame oil, just warm it and use for ear aches.
- Clove and clove oil is used in food items due to its characteristic flavor and other health benefits. It is a common spice used in India for preparation of pickles, dishes, spice cakes, sauce etc.
Cosmetic Benefits of Clove Oil
- Clove oil is often recommended for skin care, especially to treat acne.
- The oil is used as a common constituent in many cosmetic soaps, lotions, creams and perfumes because of its antiseptic, aroma and soothing properties.
- Consult your doctor or an ayurvedic doctor regarding the use of clove oil during pregnancy and with infants.
- It is advised to use this oil in moderation or according to the suggestion of a specialist as it can cause mucous membrane and skin irritations.
- It is advised to use this oil in diluted form.
Clove Oil after Tooth Extraction
Clove oil after tooth extraction can help in reducing pain caused by dry socket. For this, one can dip a piece of soft cloth in clove oil and place the cloth piece inside the tooth socket.
How to Extract Clove Oil?
Clove oil is isolated from cloves by steam distillation.
Clove Oil Topical Application
In dentistry, clove oil is used topically for treating toothaches because of its anesthetic and antiseptic properties. In aromatherapy, clove oil topical application includes treatment of general aches and pain.