Betel Leaves Medicinal Values:
Betel leaves contain many health benefits, curative and healing properties. It contains vitamins such as vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and carotene. It is also a good source of calcium.
An analysis of a betel leaf shows that it contains 85.4% of moisture, 6.1% of carbohydrates, 3.1% of protein, 0.8% fat, 2.3% minerals and 2.3% fibre per 100 grams.
Recent studies have found that betel leaves contains an essential oil that contains a phenol called as chavicol that has potential antiseptic properties. Here is a brief description about the health benefits of betel leaves, Betel Leaves Medicinal Values.
- Local application of the leaves benefits in the treatment of inflammations such as orchitis and arthritis.
- Betel leaves soaked in mustard oil, slightly warmed and applied on the chest relieves cough and breathing difficulty in children.
- A hot poultice of betel leaves or juice mixed with refined coconut oil when applied on the loins benefits lumbago ( lower back pain).
- Local application of betel leaves relieves sore throat.
- Juice of betel leaves dropped in the ear relieves ear aches.
- Betel leaves have diuretic properties. Its juice mixed with diluted milk and sweetened slightly eases urination.
- Betel leaves effectively treats wounds. Grind the leaves, extract the juice, apply on the wounds, wrap a betel leaf and bandage the wound.
- Betel leaves effectively treats boils. Just warm a leaf till it becomes soft, coat a layer with castor oil on it, spread it over the inflamed area and repeat it every few hours for best results.
Betel leaf and Diabetes
It is suggested that components present in betel leaves can reduce the level of sugar in blood. This may help in treating diabetes.