What are the Conclusions of Aloe Vera Research Studies?
As an essential part of the herbal medicine, aloe vera has enjoyed a very prominent position in the eastern medicinal practice. But, in the recent times, aloe vera research studies have confirmed some of the well known benefits of this plant much to the relief of the westerners who have been hesitating to use it as an effective home remedy. This article presents some of the researched facts on the benefits of aloe vera.
What Aloe Vera Research Studies Have to Say?
- Researchers from the Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Sari, Iran found that when the cream of this plant is applied on the surgical site, it can lead to a reduction in the post-operative pain.
- The experts also found that when this cream is applied on the site of wounds, it significantly increases the formation of new skin when compared to silver sulfadiazine.
- Size of the wound is also reduced in the patients on whom the cream is applied in comparison to the placebo group.
- Experts from College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, 361-763, Korea found that aloctin-A and acemannan are the active components in this plant’s gel which can boost the natural protection system of the body, technically known as immune system.
- Antioxidants, vitamins and phenolic compounds present in this plant also contribute in stimulating the cells of the immune system. This is the conclusion of the study carried out at the Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Istanbul University, Beyazit, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Researchers from the Department of Dermatology, Jondishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran have found that extracts of this plant can be used as an agent for photodynamic therapy of cancer.
- It has anti-bacterial and antifungal properties, which help in treating certain health conditions.
- It is very effective against psoriasis and genital herpes.
- It helps in the treatment of scalp problems like dry scalp and dandruff as well.
- It brings down blood cholesterol levels as well as blood sugar levels.
- It is very effective in treating irritable bowel syndrome and symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- Aloe vera extracts help in curing cancer in cats and dogs. Research has not yet been carried out on human beings.
- This acts as a moisturizer for oily skin people during dry weather.
- The laxative components in the aloe vera help in the excretion of the unwanted substances in the body which can eventually cause natural loss of weight.
- Iron, calcium, chromium, sodium, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium and zinc are the essential minerals provided by the gel of this plant to the body.
In spite of the reporting of these positive benefits of the plant, most of the aloe vera research studies are of small scale in nature. There should be more sharing of the conclusions drawn from different studies all over the world to gain more specific insights on the usefulness of this medicinal plant.