Important Health Benefits of Sarsaparilla Roots
Sarsaparilla is a medicinal herb which has various benefits to man. Sarsaparilla roots are mainly used to get relief from various ailments. Anti inflammatory properties are found in its roots. Anti bacterial properties found in sarsaparilla roots are due to saponin substance in it.
It has derived its name from two Spanish words ‘sarza’, which means thorny shrubs and ‘parilla’ means vines. It has multi benefits due to its rich nutrient content. Its roots are mainly used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, gout and lupus etc. it also helps in building muscles of the body. multiple sclerosis, flatulence, mercury poisoning can also be treated using sarsaparilla roots. The botanical name for sarsaparilla is Smilax ornate and belongs to Liliaceae family.
Sarsaparilla Root Benefits
Following are some of the medicinal benefits of sarsaparilla roots -
It is used in treatment of various nervous disorders. Steep 1 tea spoon of root stock in 1 cup of water and consume it twice a day.
Sarsaparilla tea is a natural blood purifier. It is taken as a tonic to provide energy and stamina.
Muscle build up
The herb is used to develop muscle mass.
- The herb is also used for protection against radiation exposure.
- Its tea is also used for increasing urine flow.
- When Sarsaparilla tea is taken hot, it causes sweating which breaks fever.
- The herb is good for treatment of skin diseases such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Rheumatism, gout and arthritis can be effectively treated with sarsaparilla herb.
- It is also good for eyewash.
- Sarsaparilla herb is also used in treatment of multiple sclerosis, flatulence, breathing disorders, mercury poisoning and various STD’s.
Precautions for using Sarsaparilla herb
Following are some of the precautions while using sarsaparilla herb -
- It may cause stomach irritation and kidney problems.
- Large doses can cause gastrointestinal irritation.
- Prescription medicines should not be used along with the herb as the medicine may be absorbed and excreted more quickly.
- Asthma patients should not take the herb as it can worsen the condition.
- Pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid it.