Chinese Herb – Kudzu | Benefits, Side Effects
The Chinese herb, Kudzu belongs to the Fabaceae family and Plantae kingdom. Its scientifically called
. It is popularly known as Red Indian Kudzu, Siali, White Indian Kudzu, Dari and Indian Kudzu. This is found in the dry to moist deciduous forests.
BENEFITS OF KUDZU HERB:
Benefits of kudzu herb include,
- This herb is an emetic, a general tonic and an aphrodisiac.
- This herb acts as a rasayana and slows down the aging process.
- It rejuvenates male reproductive system and increases quantity and quality of semen which increases mobility and count.
- Kudzu acts like a galactagogue and hence useful for nursing mothers.
- This herb revitalizes the entire body and increases muscle bulk.
- Kudzu strengthens body and boosts the immune system.
- This herb is widely used for treating the skin disorders which cause discoloration.
- It is used in the treatment of cough, dysuria, erysipelas, malarial fever and rheumatism.
- Kudzu roots are used as refrigerant and demulcent in fevers. These are used as cataplasm for reducing swellings in joints.
- If kudzu is included in diet, it rejuvenates skin and increases glow and fairness.
- It normalizes kapha and reduces vata, that increases shukra dhatu. This helps in increasing libido, sexual energy and hard erections.
- This herb reduces dryness of the skin and eases bowel movement by relieving constipation.
SIDE EFFECTS OF KUDZU HERB:
No side effects have been reported when kudzu is taken orally. However, kudzu root may cause weight loss and destruction of red blood cells. This herb should not be taken by pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers.
FASCINATING FACT OF KUDZU HERB:
There are evidences that kudzu reduces heart disease and in treating glaucoma and some menopausal symptoms.