Health Benefits of Black Walnut
Black walnut, also known as Juglans nigra, is a native to North America. The black walnut is famous for its dark-color heartwood throughout the world and is considered as a highly prized tree. Native Americans and Romans regarded the black walnut fruit as the œimperial nut and used it to cure various intestinal disorders. Apart from intestinal disorders, native Americans have been using black walnut to treat skin disorders for a long time.
Health Benefits of Black Walnut
Listed below are some of the health benefits of black walnut:
Black Walnut May Treat Intestinal Worms and Parasites:
It is suggested that the presence of natural tannins can alter the pH of intestine and make it more acidic. This might help in killing fungus, parasites and yeast and help in treating intestinal worms and parasites.
Black Walnut May Treat High Blood Pressure:
It is assumed that the presence of omega-3 fatty acids in black walnut may help reduce high blood pressure. Omega-3 fatty acid is believed to have blood thinning action. This can prevent formation of plaque or clot and hardening of arteries, thereby controlling high blood pressure.
Black Walnut Might Control Diabetes:
Again, the presence of omega-3 fatty acid can lower the level of triglycerides (bad cholesterol) in blood and increase the level of HDL (good cholesterol). This may help in checking the level of sugar in blood and in treating diabetes.
Black Walnut May Treat Asthma:
The presence of omega-3 fatty acids may reduce inflammation and promote the function of lungs. This may give relief from asthma.
Black Walnut Might Prevent Cancer:
It is presumed that the presence of juglone in black walnut may have anti-tumor property. This may help in killing cancerous cells and treating cancer.
The side effects of black walnut are still to be known. However, it is generally considered that the presence of tannins can damage the liver and kidneys.
Black Walnut Hull
It is the outer shell of the nut. Hull has following benefits -
- The hull powder is rich in iodine content, alpha linolenic acid (ALA), tannins and sterols.
- ALA content in black walnut prevents heart attack.
- Certain disease can also be treated with the hull powder of black walnut such as blisters, acne, ringworm and eczema.
- Hull powder is also useful in treatment of intestinal disorders like constipation.
- Various skin conditions can also be treated with the help of powder of black walnut leaf.
- Several skin conditions like canker sores and psoriasis can be effectively treated with the help of black walnut external application.
- Fungal infections caused in skin can be successfully healed by black walnut.
- Walnut extract can be taken internally, it can destroy parasites in blood.
- Health tonics where walnuts are used as main ingredients, it benefits kidney’s health and also for cancer patients.
- Black walnut also helps balance the sugar level in body.
- Strength can be gained with intake of black walnuts on a regular basis.
Medicinal Uses of Black Walnut
Following are some of the medicinal uses of black walnut -
Hence, black walnuts should be made an essential part of daily diet.