Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
In aromatherapy, the sweet and citrusy grapefruit essential oil is blended with other carrier oils to uplift one’s spirit and mood. The essential oil is extracted from grapefruits by means of cold compression. Grapefruit essential oil has many health benefits. It can help one look younger than his age. Apart from it, grapefruit oil can help in combating cellulite and in improving the lymphatic system.
Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil:
The pale yellow or light ruby grapefruit essential oil is known for its diuretic, anti-oxidant, anti depressant, lymphatic and other properties.
Listed below are some benefits of grapefruit essential oil:
Prevents Premature Aging:
Grapefruit essential oil is recommended as a rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that along with other antioxidants present in the oil, can help in fighting free radicals. This can help in reducing tissue damage, thereby treating premature aging. The anti-oxidant property of grapefruit oil can also help in treating vision loss, tissue degeneration, nervous disorders, etc.
As a diuretic agent, it is believed that grapefruit essential oil can promote urination. This can help in removing toxins from the body such as excess uric acid, sodium, fats, etc that can otherwise cause damage. The diuretic property can help in controlling blood pressure, thereby keeping our heart healthy. This can also help in promoting kidney health by removing uric acid and such other calcareous deposits.
The essential oil of grapefruit can stimulate the secretion of gastric juices, enzymes, etc that can help in improving digestion. Moreover, experts recommend that grapefruit is a natural source of dietary fiber. This can act as a laxative by promoting movement of food through the digestive tract, thereby improving digestion.
Keeps Lymph Healthy:
Experts believe that grapefruit essential oil can stimulate the lymphatic system and can help in removing toxic wastes from the body. The oil can also help in treating cellulite by reducing water retention in the body.
It is believed that the citrusy flavor of grapefruit essential oil has relaxing effects on the nerves. The oil can relieve exhaustion by instilling new energy. The essential oil can induce positive thinking by uplifting the mood and the spirit.
It is suggested that grapefruit essential oil can stimulate the hair follicles and can keep our hair healthy and strong. The oil can also promote hair growth.
Though grapefruit essential oil is considered non-irritant, non-toxic and non-sensitizing, can cause skin irritation if exposed to sunlight after treatment.
Other Uses of Grapefruit Oil
- Grapefruit oil is also called ‘happy oil’ as children like it because of its uplifting qualities.
- Grapefruit oil enhances self confidence and improves concentration.
- The aromatic use of the oil eases muscle stiffness through lactic acid dispersion and also improves lymphatic drainage.
- The oil is used as fragrance in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and detergents.
- The oil is used in food and drinks industry.
- Grapefruit is rich in vitamin C content.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Properties
It has following properties –
- Immune boosting
- Mentally rejuvenating
Grapefruit Essential Oil helps in Weight Loss
- The essential oils of grapefruit helps in lowering water retention.
- It can also dissolve fat.
- Limonene is one of the important ingredients in grapefruit oil, which aids in release of fatty acids in the blood, where they are broken down to release energy.
- The oil also suppresses strong appetite. Inhale a few drops of oil to suppress a hunger pang.
Grapefruit oil and Phototoxicity
- Grapefruit oil contains furocoumarins that causes phototoxicity.
- It also contains various other chemicals that neutralize the active phototoxicity.
- It can be a good alternative to other citrus oils.
Grapefruit oil blends easily with Frankincense, Bergamot, Geranium, Palma Rosa and Lavender oil.