Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds
Poppy Seeds are obtained from Opium Poppy. The unripe heads contain opium but the white or grayish blue seeds do not have any narcotic properties. In China, they are used to treat vomiting and nausea. The poppy seeds and poppy seeds oil are rich in omega 2 fatty acid and a good source of carbohydrate energy, oleic and linoleic acids. They do contain a moderate amount of calcium.
Here is a Brief Description about the Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds
- Consumption of half teaspoonful of poppy seeds helps asthma and cough.
- Drinking a decoction of the seeds (25ml) once a day helps all the nervous disorders.
- A paste made up the seeds, 4gm, taken twice daily helps insomnia.
- A paste made up the seeds, 3/4gm, taken twice daily helps diarrhea.
- In case of abdominal pain, colic and sciatica, powder made up seeds taken with ghee, 3/4gm, benefits the conditions.
- A poultice or paste made up poppy seeds and applied over the affected areas gives relief, in case of any swelling and joint pains.
Other Important Health Benefits of Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds facilitate digestion process in the body.
Poppy seeds oil, which contains oleic acid is an effective treatment for breast cancer.
Poppy seeds have linoleic acid, which protects the body from various heart diseases, including heart attack.
Poppy seeds are rich in minerals such as Iodine, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc.
Poppy seeds also help in emulsin, diastase, lipase and nuclease enhancement in the body.
It is a good source of carbohydrates and thus, provides energy for daily functions.
Poppy seeds are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids. This is required by body for good health.
Other important constituents
Poppy seeds also contain thiamine, lecithin, riboflavin, oxalic acid, amorphous alkaloids and pentosans.
Grinded poppy seeds are used in various dishes an desserts all over the world.
Its seeds are added for flavor in numerous food items such as cookies, rolls, breads and cakes.
Poppy seeds are used as thickening agents in sauces.
Poppy seeds are used in cooking fish, noodles and vegetables for flavor and adding aroma.