Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds have a high nutritive value. They benefit our body as a whole especially the kidneys, liver, stomach and spleen. They are rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, phosphorous, proteins, vitamin E, vitamin B1, fiber and phytic acid.
Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds
- Sesame seeds help in digestion, stimulates blood circulation and benefits the nervous system.
- Sesame seeds are a best source of iron and zinc. Including sesame seeds in diet would be an ideal choice for vegans as it is often reported that they don’t get sufficient amount of iron and zinc in their diet.
- Sesame seeds protect our body from free radicals. Phytic acid present in these seeds inhibits colon cancer.
- These seeds contain sesamolin and sesamin, components that may help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
- These components are also a good source of omega-6, vitamin E and monounsaturated fats that prevent furring of arteries and skin elasticity.
- The compound sesamin protects your liver from oxidative damage.
- Sesame seeds are the best source of calcium that contains far more calcium than dairy. Â½ cup of sesame seeds contains 3 times more calcium than Â½ cup of whole milk.
- Sesame seeds help relieve constipation. Just eat some seeds if you have constipation to relieve it.
- Eat some sesame seeds to remove worms from your intestinal tract.
- Sesame oil effectively treats cracked heels. Apply the oil on your heels after cleaning the area thoroughly before sleep in the night.
Cosmetic use of Sesame Seeds:
- Sesame oil applied externally removes wrinkles. It also cures skin diseases.
- Sesame oil slowly rubbed on the skin soothes sunburn, minor burns and helps in healing process.
- Daily consumption of sesame seeds helps in gaining weight because of its high caloric contents.
- Sesame oil is ideal oil for massaging because of its excellent emollient properties.
Medicinal uses of Sesame Seeds Oil:
Sesame oil penetrates quickly into the skin and then finally into the bloodstream through the blood capillaries. Sesame oil has been since ages confirmed to healing chronic diseases like diabetes, hepatitis, migraines and in regulating the levels of cholesterol in the body. For comforting arthritis symptoms and joint pains, massage with sesame oil in an upward and downward motion for the limbs and circular motion for the joints.
Sesame is a natural antiinflammatory agent and potent antioxidants, which helps relieve many ailments. Following are some of the important medicinal uses of sesame seeds-
- Application of sesame seeds oil calms the burns after exposure to sun or wind.
- Regular application of sesame seeds oil kills dandruff causing fungus. Hence, it nourishes and helps relieve dry scalp dandruff.
- It protects the skin from chlorine effects in water of swimming pool.
- Sesame seeds oil subside the effect caused by radiation therapy and neutralizes the free oxygen radicals.
- The oil inhibits the growth of malignant melanoma.
- The seeds are found to be effective in enlargement and firming the women’s breast. The seeds can be consumed in food and its oil can be externally applied over breasts.
- It also keeps the skin soft and supple and protects abrasions, cuts and mild scrapes.
- Black sesame seeds improve bowel movement and treats constipation.
- Black sesame seeds also reduce cholesterol. Thus, protects heart.
- Sesame seed oil keeps flexibility of joints.
- Rinsing mouth with sesame oil helps in reducing bacteria and infection in mouth.
- If you snuff sesame oil, it helps in curing chronic sinusitis.
- Sore throats, throat infections, etc can be reduced by gargling with sesame oil.
- Application of sesame oil on the scalp helps in killing of lice.
- While women attaining menopause stage, vaginal dryness can be effectively cured by sesame oil.
- A mixture of Bishops weed and sesame oil can be used for reducing ear aches.
- Herbalists recommend to put one drop of sesame oil in nostrils for treating insomnia and anxiety.
- Combine sesame oil and grated ginger and apply it on the affected area. This gives relief from joint aches, enhances blood circulation, cures headache and improves hair growth.
- Alzheimer’s disease can be cured by dropping sesame oil in each nostril or massaging the feet and/or head with sesame oil.
- Athlete’s foot can be cured by applying sesame oil.
- Vaginal yeast infections can be cured by mixing sesame oil in warm water.
- Sesame oil has emollient properties which help in keeping the skin soft and supple.
- Muscle aches and joint pains can be cured by massaging with sesame oil.
- Bruises, minor cuts, scrapes, etc can be healed by applying sesame oil.
- Diaper rashes can be prevented by applying sesame oil on the baby’s skin.
- Air borne infection or bacteria can be prevented by applying sesame oil around the nose of kids.
Through research, it is also evident that sesame seeds oil is also beneficial in the treatment of diabetes, migraines and hepatitis.